Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sentimental Sunday - A mother's visit

My mother tends to come to my house about every two weeks or once a month to visit her grandchildren. The one thing I have learned over the years is to expect the unexpected from her. During her visits the subjects we cover are wide and ever changing.

One visit the topics are: Elvis, the kid's school, my job, why don't I have any pictures on my walls, Elvis and gotten leave. The next visit they are: how big the kids have gotten, Elvis, the weather, her sisters' health, Elvis and oh yeah Elvis.....have I ever mentioned that my mother is a HUGE Elvis Presley devotee? I haven't well she is!

Anyway, the reason for my Sentimental Sunday posting is she visited today and it couldn't have been a better visit. We covered all of the good stuff: my dad, her childhood christmas', her maternal grandfather (Benjamin Lewis DeSpain) who lived with them for several years, my father's personality, how my parents met, my son's early age interaction with my father.

What I find the greatest about all of this is that my kids were able to hear these stories, a couple I had not even heard before, straight from her!

It always seems to make more of an impression when you hear a story from a grandparent. I don't really know why that it is but I noticed it today when she was telling the stories. How they seemed to really focus on what she was saying and trying to understand the circumstances that she was relating.

It really makes doing all of the research worthwhile, when you see your 14 year old daughter actively flipping through the family binder that you have created in order to find the people about which my mom was talking.
 
Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails