Thursday, March 1, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday - Granny M's Memory Book pt 2

OK, so here is the next page from the memory book that I started posting last week, found here.


"Loela Pedigo died May 25, 1930
Mrs Henry Yates died March 26 1931
Amme Mrs Jim Yates Apr 8 1931
Evert Ball died Apr 26, 1931
Merree Miller died Oct 11 1931
Nettie B Depp died
Aug 4 1932
John Sowers died in 31
Mr Dave Eubank died April 9th 1934
Mrs Emma C Munday died May 2 1936
Nettie Nance died Oct 1936
Mr Willie Bagby Nov 14 1935
Mr J T Ball Nov 5 1935
Mrs Birch Whitlow died Dec 30 1928
Mrs Willie Bagby died Nov 1936
Mrs Oren Pulliam died June 1 1930
Mr Will Nichols died
Mr Lewis Glass died Oct"

I realized as I was transcribing the above page that the top half of the page was written by my great-grandmother, Emma/Emily C (Slemmons) Munday, and the lower half, beginning with "Mrs Emma C Munday" was written by my grandmother, Gussie O (DeSpain) Munday. 

"What makes you think that, Deb?" Aside from the fact that Emma/Emily would not have written about her own death (duh!), I have several examples of things that I know my grandmother wrote that allows me to recognize her handwriting.

I searched Kentucky Death Records 1852-1953 on Ancestry.com and found the following information on the people listed above:
  • Loela Pedigo was indexed as Fela Mays Pedigo. But I'm pretty sure that it is the same person because she died in Glasgow, Barren County, Kentucky and that is about 3 miles from Wisdom in Metcalfe County.
  • Even though the index has the death date as 20 Mar 1931, Mrs Henry Yates listed above was Camila Ann Yates.
  • Merre Miller was only 19 years old and is listed as, what appears to be, Martha Marine Miller on her death certificate. 
  • While she has John Sowers without a death date and only the year '31. Unfortunately, it's the wrong year, John died on Jan 12 1932.
  • J T Ball is listed as J T Ball on his death certificate with his parents listed as J W Ball (keeping the initials going it seems) and Mary T Franklin. My great-grandmother's mother was Martha Susan Franklin and sister to Mary T Franklin's father, Roger Thompson Franklin. confused yet? I think I am!
  • Mrs Birch Whitlow is really Irmine Whitlow and her husband is listed as L B Whitlow.
  • I wasn't able to find Mrs Willie Bagby.
  • Mrs Oren Pulliam is actually Vera Alma Pulliam, just 21 years old and her parents were Frank Pitcock and what looks to be Bufie Freeman.
  • I wasn't able to find Will Nichols.
  • Mr Lewis Glass died 5 Oct 1943 and was the husband of Dora C Glass.
Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails