Monday, July 7, 2014

Mystery Monday - Are these the Warders I'm looking for? part 1


In Saturday's post (found here) I covered an 1815 letter written to my 3rd great-grandfather, George Munday, of Prince William County, Virginia by Francis and Susan Warder.

First let me say that I have looked in the book about the Warder family titled, "A history and genealogy of the Warder family in Virginia, Kentucky and Illinois" on Ancestry and can not find this Francis and Susan Warder.

I dug around a little bit on the 'net for Francis and Susan Warder. But because no address, city or state was listed on the letter, I really didn't have an idea on where to start looking.

So I Googled "Francis Warder" 1815 and found among other things "A History of Adams County Ohio"
Clicking on this listing takes you to page 155 of "A History of Adams County, Ohio: From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Including Character Sketches of the Prominent Persons Identified with the First Century of the Country's Growth" This page lists a Francis Warder who was the Justice of the Peace for Meigs Township, Adams County, Ohio. He was qualified April 24, 1828 and his term expired in 1831.

Now, with a place to search, I searched the 1820 Meigs Township, Adams County, Ohio Federal Census and found a Francis Warder with males: 3 0-10, 1 45-up & females: 2 0-10 & 1 26-45.

My George Munday was born (the best I can tell) 1780 - 1784. This Francis Warder (if he is the older man in this census) then he would have been born 1775 and before. So now I have a man of a comparable age as my George Munday.

Now I need to see if I can find out this Francis' wife.

When I search the 1830 Meigs Township, Adams County, Ohio Census I don't find a Francis Warder. However, I do find a Susan Warder as a head of household. Her entry is males: 1 10-15, 1 15-20 & females: 2 0-5, 2 5-10, 2 10-15, 1 40-50, 1 70-80.

Is this Susan the wife of the Francis listed above? It's looking like it but I need more evidence.

This is where I will stop for this week.

Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails