Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Challenge Accepted!

Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings has another one of his Saturday Night Genealogy Fun Challenges. His challenge was:
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  Go to the Wordle site - www.wordle.net and create your own unique Wordle  - it's a word cloud.  You can use either a clump of text, enter your own words (say, surnames, or given names), use a blog page address, or something else.  Your choice!  Be creative with the fonts, colors, backgrounds, and layout. 

2)  Save it as an image (I used Print Screen, pasted it to a Word document, used the Windows snipping tool to edit it, and saved it to a file).  Tell us how you did it.

3)  Show us your handiwork!  Add the image to a blog post of your own or on a web page of your own.  Tell me in a comment here where it is.  

Note: If you want to email it to me (rjseaver@cox.net), I'll put it up here on Genea-Musings for you as an update to this post.
I read this challenge and thought, "challenge accepted!"

I have used Wordle in the past and love the sight. The way that I have used Wordle in the past is to create a front cover for my family albums, so I know which families are contained within each binder.

Here is what the binders look like after I have created the front covers:

How did I do it? Well, I just typed in the Surnames, places or any other message I want to convey (notice the "missing" on the bottom left folder - that's in honor of Jim's MIA great-grandfather); play with the font and coloring and then print it out.

What other creative ways can you think of to use wordle?

Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails